Pukkolla Bircher Muesli or Smoothie is a great breakfast option for busy people.
- 150g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp bran
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 40g pumpkin seeds
- 40g sunflower seeds
- 1 apple, coarsely grated
- 500ml milk of your choice
- 75g plain yoghurt
- 150g berries, such as raspberries and blueberries
- 1 banana, sliced
- Honey or maple syrup, to taste
- 300ml extra milk of your choice, if making smoothies (optional)
1. Start the day before by soaking your oats. Place the oats, bran, flaxseed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple, then stir in your chosen milk. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, pop in the fridge and leave overnight to soak.
2. When you’re ready to serve your oats, you can choose to do it in one of two ways. One is to divide the soaked oats between four bowls and top with a dollop of yoghurt, the berries and slices of banana, drizzle with honey or maple syrup, and serve.
3. Alternatively, for a smoothie, spoon the soaked oats into a blender, along with the yoghurt, berries, banana and 300ml of milk. Blitz for a minute or two, until completely smooth, then add honey to taste, pour into glasses and serve. This is smooth, satisfying and delicious, whichever way you choose to eat it!
This is a great way to start the day, whether you enjoy it as muesli or as a smoothie. Soaking the oats and seeds the night before means you save precious time in the morning.