How a Diabetes Educator Can Help You
If you have diabetes, you know how challenging it can be to manage your disease. Healthy eating, physical activity, monitoring your condition, taking medication and reducing your risk for complications are probably part of your daily routine. At times, all of this might seem overwhelming.
As a member of your healthcare team, a diabetes educator makes managing your diabetes easier. They work with you to develop a plan to stay healthy, and give you the tools and ongoing support to make that plan a regular part of your life.
Diabetes education is a recognized part of your diabetes care and is covered by Medicare and most health insurance plans when it is offered through an accredited diabetes education program, which has met vigorous criteria set
Diabetes may not have a cure, but you can control it and live well. Ask your doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant about working with a diabetes educator to learn how to better manage your disease, so it doesn’t manage you.
Naomi works in direct collaboration with Dr. Roland McCallum (Consultant Endocrinologist).
What can Naomi offer you
- A comprehensive Diabetes Assessment and reports regarding treatment plan to the patient’s General Practitioner
- A seven day Doctors letter guarantee – all referring Doctors will receive a follow up letter within 7 days of the patients presentation
- Diabetes Education for your patients (from newly diagnosed diabetics to long term clients showing diabetic distress).
- Diabetes Education including lifestyle analysis, insulin stabilisation, cultural and emotional support and education in relation to diabetes complication risk assessment.
- Diabetes Medication analysis and options for greater diabetes control
- Continuous glucose monitoring and reporting to the GP
- Ensure clients are NDSS registered
- Insulin and diabetes injectable education (commencement and review of
- Diabetes annual cycle of care – offering you a report 3 monthly to enable you to claim the relevant MBS item number to complete the annual cycle of care
- Assist in commercial driver’s licence approval (in collaboration with Dr McCallum)
What can Naomi can offer Chronic Disease and Diabetic Patients?
- Improved well-being with a reduction in disease complication risk and poor health outcomes
- Improved self-care practices in their diabetes self-management
- Progress towards achieving optimal biochemistry, lipid, blood pressure, lifestyle and glycaemic targets.
- To be free from the symptoms of hyperglycaemia
- Self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) skills demonstrate an overall reduction in BGLs and blood glucose variability.
- Hypoglycaemic education and awareness with an event action plan
- Access to a Your Health Hub Allied Health Professionals (see enclosed brochure)
How to refer your Patient?
Simply complete a Your Health Hub referral as per attached form and fax it together with a copy of the patients health summary with a letter detailing the purpose for the referral or a copy of the Enhanced Primary Care referral.