Shocking statistics show that an estimated 1.7 million Australians are suffering from pre-diabetes, the condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal. Fifty percent of Pre-Diabetes sufferers go on to develop Type 2 Diabetes within 10 years if untreated but, with the help of the team at Your Health Hub, you can reverse this condition and stay healthy for life!
Type 2 Diabetes occurs when the pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin for the body’s needs and/or when the body becomes resistant to the normal effects of insulin. It affects an estimated 1.5 million Australians. A staggering 275 of us get a diagnosis of Diabetes every day – and of the 1.5 million affected, more than half do not even know they have the condition!
The team at Your Health Hub has a lot of experience in helping patients to manage their Diabetes with a care plan which includes lifestyle changes, support from a Nurse Practitioner and Dietitian and Nutritionist guidance for weight loss, weight management and control of blood sugar levels.
If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes or are concerned about weight gain, lifestyle and other risk factors, call Your Health Hub on 03 6122 0150 and take control of your health today.
What Are The Risk Factors?
If you have two or more from the following list of risk factors, it is important to get a health check.
- Are you overweight? For females, a waist size greater than 80 cm and for men, a waist size greater than 94 cm is a good indicator.
- Are you physically inactive? If you are not moderately active for 30 minutes per day on five days each week or vigorously active for 20 minutes on three days each week you could be at risk.
- Do you have high cholesterol?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Are you a smoker?
- Do you have a family history of type 2 Diabetes and/or heart disease?
What Are The Symptoms?
Unfortunately, many people do not have any symptoms at all, so testing is very important. However, signs you should look out for include:
- Being very thirsty, passing more urine than usual
- Feeling more hungry than usual, gaining weight
- Feeling tired, run down with no ‘get up and go’
- Finding that injuries are slow to heal, being prone to skin infections
- Experiencing blurred vision
- Having mood swings
- Having headaches and dizziness
- Getting frequent leg cramps
How We Can Help?
Treatment for Diabetic patients at Your Health Hub is holistic, with a care program designed to help each person get their Diabetes under control.
- Dietitians and Nutritionists will be involved in helping improve diet and nutrition by managing dietary fat and carbohydrate, increasing fibre intake, and eating regularly. We can also help with a weight loss program by providing an individual, tailored diet plan that is easy to stick to and all the encouragement you need.
- A Nurse Practitioner will be involved in dealing with any health problems such as ulcer care, wound dressing, etc., and can take the time to listen to patient concerns and liaise with the patient’s Doctor, if needed.
- A care co-ordinator can organise exercise and fitness programs.
By focusing on the whole person and not on a single aspect or symptom, we have helped our patients to achieve great results in reversing Pre-Diabetes and in effectively managing Type 2 Diabetes. Why not take the first step to enjoying a healthier, happier and more active lifestyle by calling us today on 03 6122 0150?