Gluten-Free Mushroom & Kale Frittata
Recipe by Jamie Oliver
” My veggie frittata makes mushrooms the star of the dish. Not only do they add a whole load of flavour, but they have a deliciously meaty texture, making this is a perfect meat-free midweek option. Here, I’ve buddied them up with a little cheese, garlic and crispy kale for a beautiful, simple dish – happy days!”
- 400g mixed mushrooms
- 100g curly kale
- olive oil
- 4 spring onions
- 75g cottage cheese
- 40g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 8 large free-range eggs
- 4 ripe truss tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil (15g)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c/400°f/gas 6.
2. Slice or tear the mushrooms into a 26cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan and dry-fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until slightly charred, then remove to a plate – you may need work in batches.
3. Place the kale in a bowl, drizzle over ½ a tablespoon of olive oil, then season with a small pinch of sea salt. Toss together, then give the leaves a good scrunch with your hands.
4. Trim and finely slice the spring onions, then place in a separate bowl with the cottage cheese. Finely grate in the cheddar, season with black pepper and mix well.
5. Finely slice the garlic, and add to the hot pan with ½ a tablespoon of olive oil, then cook for 2 minutes, or until golden. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
6. Lightly beat the eggs, then pour into the pan, moving the egg around with a spatula for 1 minute before allowing it to settle. Arrange the kale over the top, pushing it into the egg a little, bomb over spoons of the cheese mixture and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and nicely set.
7. Finely slice the tomatoes and arrange on a plate. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, then season to taste and pick over the basil leaves.
8. Loosen the edges of the frittata with a spatula, then slide onto a board. Serve in wedges with the fresh tomato salad.