Neck pain, stiffness and discomfort can be annoying, uncomfortable and sometimes unbearable. With our modern lifestyle and stresses of living it is all too common these days.
Causes of Neck Problems
Some common causes of neck problems include:
- Sustained neck postures such as looking down at mobile phones, tablets and laptops.
- Slouching and poor sitting posture.
- Poor work ergonomics particularly to do with using computers.
- Excessive overhead lifting of weights.
How can Osteopathy help with neck pain and stiffness
Osteopathy uses hands-on techniques to give relief from musculoskeletal pain and problems of muscles joints and nerves.
An osteopath will examine the body for other areas that may be contributing to neck pain such as the upper back, rib cage and pelvis. They then use their hands to release tension and improve mobility and alignment in these related areas as well as releasing the muscles and freeing up the joints and ligaments of the neck.
Osteopaths also offer advice to help maintain good neck function and comfort such as:
- Advice on posture whilst standing and sitting to help keep head neck and shoulders in line.
- Simple exercises to relieve neck and shoulder tension such as shoulder rolls and upper back stretches.
If you or anyone you know have been experiencing neck pain and other discomforts, we have a multidisciplinary team of healthcare practitioners including osteopath and physiotherapists that can help you manage your pain and discomfort.
Contact us to find out how we can help you.